Protect Restore Connect Enjoy Educate Study
About Us
Previous Features
Watershed Stewards
Report a Problem

Report Erosion and Discharge Problems

In case of any spill or discharge of a suspected hazardous or harmful nature, please notify 911 immediately. If it is a non-emergency, please call 301.600.1413 or file a report online using the Frederick County Citizen Report Tracker:

Federal and State laws currently prohibit the discharge of certain non-stormwaters to surface waters and storm drain systems. The purpose of these regulations is to protect the quality of the nation's surface water resources by minimizing contamination associated with urban activities. Prohibited discharges include industrial process water, sanitary sewer flows, dumping of liquid waste, and other non-storm flows.

Soil erosion from construction, agricultural, ando ther earth disturbing activities is also a major problem because sediment washed into streams negatively affects our local waterways. Excessice sediment in streams reduces water quality, directly harms fish and other stream organisms, degrades available habitat for aquatic life, causes stream channel midifications, and resutls in the need for costly bank stabilization and bridge maintenance activities. For these reasons, sediment is classified as a pollutant by State and Federal regualtions.

You can help protect the environment of Frederick County and downstream by learning to recognize erosion and discharge problems, and reporting these problems to the proper agency.

Examples of illicit discharges include the following:

  • Grading or other eath disturbing activities that do not provide sediment control practices;
  • Motor oil drained from vehicles into a ditch line or storm drain system;
  • Gray water discharges (household laundry/wash water that is not being drained into an approved septic or sewage system);
  • Discharges from commercial/manufacturing operations, such as manufacturing by-products (i.e. oil, cooking grease, gasoline, pertoleum based products, or other industrial waste);
  • Dumpsters left open that would leach water that has been contaminated with the refuse.

If you suspect possible erosion or discharge problems, please notify the local jurisdiction in your area:

Frederick County: 301.600.1132

Report a Website Problem

If you are experiencing a problem with the website, please send an email to the MCWA webmaster



Home | Protect | Restore | Connect | Enjoy | Educate | Study | FAQ | Contact Us | Report a Problem | Welcome | About Us | Calendar
Links | Publications/Maps/Data | Glossary | Watersheds | Voluntary and Regulatory Commitments | Previous Features
Watershed Stewards | Disclaimer | Landowner Network

Monocacy & Catoctin Watershed Alliance ©2006

Protect Restore Connect Enjoy Educate Study Home FAQ Contact Us Report a Problem Home Home Home